The 8K Association (8KA) is structured as a 501(c)(6) nonprofit corporation (business league). Organizationally, it has a Board of Director, officers of the Corporation and Work Groups that will help develop and implement the strategy and mission of the 8KA. Any company in the 8K value chain can join the organization. There are several levels of membership.
- Principal Member with Board of Directors seat: seat on the Board, Chair Work Groups, vote on corporate and Work Group resolutions, use of logo for certified products
- Principal Member: Chair Work Groups, vote on corporate and Work Group resolutions, use of logo for certified products
- Associate Member: Participate in Work Groups, Vote on Work Group resolutions, use of logo for certified products
- Supporter Member: Access to summary level documents; cannot serve on Work Groups, no voting power.
Special member-only meetings will be organized to advance the work of its Work Groups. Anticipated Work Groups include:
- Technology Work Group – Develop a set of specifications for 8K TV products to start. Focus on key technology gating items to foster industry communication and speed commercialization.
- Certification Work Group – Develop the test methods and metrology to certify 8K TVs that meet the specification. Work with panel makers and TV brands to develop a roadmap for future 8K features.
- Marketing and Promotion Work Group – develop marketing and promotional materials for professionals and consumers. Organize workshops.
- Content & Distribution Work Group – work with content creators to educate on the benefits of 8K. Seek to license 8K content for use by member companies. Work with OTT, cable and broadcast partners to understand requirements for offering 8K distribution.